Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Tale of Thokazani



Earlier on in the week I informed a couple of the team members (Mark and Allison) who live here in Swaziland that I had no intention of bringing my guitar back with me to the U.S., and asked if there was a need for this guitar here or if they knew someone that could use it.  They immediately looked at each other and simultaneously exclaimed, “Thokozani!”  As it was instantly apparent by their reaction that this was a no-brainer, I inquired further about the man who they passionately agreed upon.

Thokozani is a member of the Development Team here in Swaziland looking over many of the carepoints in this area.  Over the past 18 months, several different teams have taught him to play guitar (and have done a pretty darn good job if I say so myself).  Ever since his first lesson, he has told Mark and Allison that one day, he will buy a guitar.  He had started saving up his money, but with family expenses coupled with the huge costs of getting a purchase-worthy guitar, it seemed like it was a distant dream of his to one day have one of his own.

On Thursday afternoon, Thokozani showed up to the carepoint under the ruse that he was only there to help with distribution of backpacks to the kids (as he normally doesn’t serve at the Mkhombokati Carepoint).  Completely unsuspecting, he walked into the new building where I had just finished up leading the kids in VBS songs.  Mark and Allison called Thokozani over to us and introduced me to him.  I can honestly say that I rarely meet anyone who likes to smile as much as I do, but this man had teeth from ear to ear the moment he walked in the room.  After only a few minutes of talking to him, you were instilled with his passion and joy.  It was obvious that Thokozani loves developing relationships and it was no mystery why everyone was such a fan of his.

Now it was time for me to have a little fun with him.  I told him that I had heard through the grapevine that he actually knows how to play the guitar.  Half abashed and half ecstatic, he told me this was true and that he loves playing.  When I asked if ‘I were to hand him the guitar right now, would he be able to play us something?’, he immediately took up the challenge….. 

And he did not disappoint!

After a minute or two of his song, I was ready to get to the fun part.  I asked him where he had learned to play, which he corroborated everything I had heard before.  Then I asked him:
“Do you practice often?”
“No, I don’t get to that much.”
“I see, do you have a guitar of your own?”
“No, no I don’t”, he replied.
“Well, that guitar is yours.”

With the guitar still strung over his shoulder, he stopped.  I think every ounce of blood and energy instantly went to his brain, as he tried to think of every other possibility of what I could have said, assuming maybe he misunderstood me.  Finally, he replied “Really?”

After several assurances that the guitar was really his, he went began spinning in circles (guitar still on) and screaming.  

The most remarkable part of it all, though, was what he said next.  He told me he was so excited to be able to help out at the carepoints now.  To be able to come lead worship for them, as well as doing the same at his church.  It was powerful to see someone who has been given a long wanted gift immediately turn around to exclaim how he is going to give it right back to God.  

I later showed him everything that was included in the case: the tuner, the extra strings, the chord charts, extra picks, and the capo.  And with each item, that never ending smile grew bigger and bigger.  I’m incredibly excited to see what the future holds in store for this young man.  

Tyler O.