Thursday, May 16, 2013

This is Africa, and I am a Sponge



This is my first time to Africa, and my first mission trip.  Ever since arriving here, I have felt as if I have been here before.  There was never really an awe moment for me.  So many moments in my life have just lead me here.  I am so relaxed, like sitting on a friend’s porch after being invited for dinner and just being in the moment, taking everything in.  I think this is what surprised me most about coming here.  

However, upon meeting the first few children, who were very shy, began to wonder if I would ever connect with these kids.  Then suddenly, in a blink of an eye, I found myself in the midst of a sea of children, many grinning ear to ear, asking for hugs and attention, and I so wished I could be in more than one place at a time.  One six-year-old girl inspected each of my fingernails for quite some time, touching each of my fingers and nails with her tiny hands, and turning my hand this way and that, then staring up at me with a huge grin.  

I shared with several children and young teenage girls that I knew their “special friend” (AKA, church sponsor), and they gave me huge smiles and warm hugs.  I bent down to take a picture of a little one, who stood patiently for me to take his picture, then he quickly wrapped his arms around my neck and latched his legs around my waist, and he was my little cuddle bug for what seemed like hours.  I prayed and worked in a massive garden.  I painted a wall.  I washed feet.  I scrubbed little toes.  I took a photo with the mages (“mah-gays”; mothers), and one of them made me sit on her lap.  I blew bubbles with a circle of kids, some who waited patiently, some who shouted over and over, “now me, now me”, and some who shyly pointed to themselves and smiled.  I counted them out, and they would wait for their turn – one, two, three – until it was their turn.  Bubbles flowed from the bubble wand and the children would try to catch them and pop them, or bubbles would pop in their faces, and they would smirk or giggle.  For some children who didn’t understand how to blow bubbles (or didn’t understand me), I would lightly blow on their arms so they would know how to blow into the wand.  They got it!  And they would laugh with glee.  

I visited a family of eight – a father, a mother, six boys and their four-year-old sister.  I found myself overwhelmed and speechless, but so happy to be there, to see the mother laugh and blush, to hear the parent’s concerns and their children’s dreams.  

I also visited an extended family, where a young teen lived with his cousins and aunts, and his elderly grandmother, who sat on a mat on the ground, with her wrinkles and very firm and purposeful words that were interpreted to me and my small team.  I was so blessed to hear from his great aunt, who had such a passion for God, and who thanked us for coming to visit and telling us how we fulfilled her life-long dream of bringing America to her.

I watched and listened to over a hundred children sing and laugh.  I watched many dance, and laugh some more. 

Near the early evening, I would stop for a moment.  I watched the African sunset, and I breathed in God.  There is great beauty in Africa, and such warm hearts, and now my heart is here as well.

Dawn