Monday, May 12, 2014

Amazing People

It has only been roughly 51 hours since I left Salt Lake.  Essentially two season of Jack Bauer into this trip, and, through mostly sleep deprivation, it feels like a fortnight (“fortnight” is a great word for scrabble by the way).  And even though we have yet to make it to the carepoint, I have been reminded of some of most incredible, unbelievable, amazing people I have ever met in my life.  Let me run down the “Awesomeness Inventory” for you.  First we have:

Kelly – The man who kept us entertained for hours on a bus ride with games that encouraged the team to accuse and be suspicious of everyone.  But his awesomeness didn’t end there.  He struck again during the power outage out dinner, where he turned his (and consequently other people’s as well) iPhone light and plastic water bottle into table top lamps.

Elliot – He is one of the awesome drivers for Adventures in Missions who will be with us for most of the trip.  This is the ultimate person you want to know at the border.  This swazi native grandfather who could pass for 40 used his bashful charm (yeah, it’s a thing) and got us all from South Africa to Swaziland without any one of us getting questioned or filling out forms.  My hat is off for you Elliot.

Mark & Allison – These Alabama native Auburn fans have been in Swaziland for over three years.  They moved both theirs daughters (ages 10 and 15 now) to this country and have provided me with a whole different view of this culture that I may have not noticed on my own.  While Swaziland may be lacking in infrastructure, government programs, and education, their values are strongly intact.  These people live out the meaning of having a community, they are not wasteful, and they love strongly.  Mark and Allison find the great qualities in this place, as well help guide them through areas of growth.  I am so thankful you are here.

And lastly, Karen Mohr – I can’t say enough amazing things about our fantastic trip leader.  And while I have reason to be biased, those of you that know her will know I am simply speaking truth (with a little bias).  She has been an amazing leader who has prepared and coordinated this team into what I must say is the most successful entry into Swaziland in Capital Church history. (That, and she’s really pretty…)  So thank you, thank you, thank you!

You just can’t help but love those amazing people…

- Tyler O.